Affiliate disclosure: Sweet Humble Home is a participant in Amazon's affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This is no extra cost to readers.
If there is one recipe that brings comfort to people, it’s homemade macaroni and cheese. The recipe that I’m sharing is from my mother’s recipe box, and it’s incredibly good. Mom used to make this ultimate homemade macaroni and cheese for family dinners as well as crowds. And everyone always loved it.
What is it about macaroni and cheese that gets us?
It’s something your mom used to make. And her mom. And her mom as well. Macaroni and cheese brings us back home. It reminds us of family get-togethers and the way we used to entertain regularly. Family style. It’s as good as a fantastic pot roast. This Ultimate Homemade Macaroni and Cheese brings us around the table with our cousins talking about what we planned to do for the rest of our day. It’s home.
Tips for making this the best macaroni and cheese:
- Don’t worry about the fact that there aren’t multiple types of cheese in this recipe. I guarantee you, it’s amazing.
- Use this recipe to serve a crowd. It’s perfect when entertaining kids for just about any party – and adults – especially at game time!
- It travels well. Transfer the finished macaroni and cheese to a crock pot and bring it with you for tailgating or potlucks.
- Make it ahead of time! I usually make this in the morning and serve it that night. You can even serve it the next day.
- Don’t freeze this recipe. It just doesn’t freeze well, Kind of loses it creaminess.
- Serve with a simple salad for an easy weeknight meal or use it to entertain when hosting a game day party or kids party!
- This recipe is EASY. There is no roux. There is no cream. We use a can of soup – go with it!
- DON’T skimp on the cornflakes.
- If you make this on Sunday you can use it in lunches for the rest of the week!
- KIDS CAN HELP! Make this with your child! Memories plus great comfort food? Win-win.
How to make the Ultimate Macaroni & Cheese
Ultimate Homemade Macaroni & Cheese
This is a family favorite for good reason! It's super easy, it's incredly cheesy, and it tastes incredible!
- 1 16 oz Box of elbows
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 Soup Can Milk
- 1 1/2 bags Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 pound Ham sliced into small chunks
- 1 1/2 cups Corn Flake crumbs
- 1/2 cup Melted butter (plus 2 tbsp for greasing pan)
- sprinkle Paprika
Cook elbows according to package directions
Mix together soup, cheese, milk, and ham
Add cooked elbows to mixture
Season with salt and pepper to taste
Place half of the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan and cover the top with crushed corn flakes
Place remaining mixture on top and cover with remaining crushed corn flakes
Sprinkle with paprika for color and taste, along with some salt and pepper
Pour melted butter over the top of the corn flakes
Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes
Be careful to check at 20 minutes to make sure that the macaroni and cheese doesn't dry out
Serve and wait for them to ask you to make this again soon!
If your oven tends to cook fast, cover the dish until the last ten minutes. This will prevent the top getting too brown. Also, if you do decide to cover the dish use a piece of aluminum paper sprayed with cooking spray so that it doesn’t stick.
Optionally, add a sprinkle of parsley on top of the dish for color and taste!
If you find that the macaroni needs a little more liquid when mixing the ingredients together, simply add a touch more milk!
Enjoy your Ultimate Macaroni & Cheese!
Get ready to make it again soon, because they WILL ask for it. In fact, like my mom – you may become a little bit of a legend for it!
PS: Some other content I think you’ll like: