Affiliate disclosure: Sweet Humble Home is a participant in Amazon's affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This is no extra cost to readers.
I was introduced to Bunco or Bunko when I moved to our new home. My friend Dawn had told me how much fun it could be, and I was looking to meet new people. Checking out Bunco seemed like the perfect way to do it! More and more families and friends are getting together to play board games, dice games, and any other party game that they can find! These game sets are flying off the shelves, so I thought it was time to put together a guide for planning the perfect Bunco Party!
What is Bunco?
That was the first question I had, and if you haven’t played this game before, you may be wondering the same thing. Bunco is a game where your success is based on the roll of the dice! This dice game is fast paced and fun – and you’ll be quickly addicted to it!
The game is played by teams of four (as many teams of four as you have), and is played in rounds. There is a “head table” that controls the pace of the game, and players travel to different tables taking on the role of score keeper, etc.
The object of the game is to roll the same number on your dice as the number round it is. For example – if you are in round two and you roll three two’s, you have scored! The game goes on until the “head table” has a winner. When that happens, the players move to the next table. Look below for a link to a video on the complete rules of Bunco.
Bunco Party Ideas
When you’re planning a Bunco party, you will generally have at least twelve people together. This is your Bunco Squad. You’ll need three card table sized tables. You can also set it up where two teams can share a longer table (one team on each end), and the third team can use a card table. Decorating for your Bunco party won’t include any table decor as you use the whole table to play the game, so the party decorations will be in the room, but not on the table.
Tips for Bunco Party Decor
- Keep tables clear as the entire table is used for game play.
- Use a theme for your party such as:
- Ladies Night cocktails
Tips for Bunco Party Food & Drink
- There are two ways to go when serving food at your Bunco party.
- Option 1: Serve dinner prior to the start of the game. Serve something that isn’t too formal such as this chili recipe. You can make some corn bread to go along with the recipe as well as a fresh salad. Another recipe to try is this Ultimate Homemade Macaroni & Cheese.
- Option 2: Make your Bunco party a cocktail party. Serve finger foods and appetizers prior to the game, and have snacks available as well after the game ends. Try some of these party foods to give your guests some options: 20 Easy Appetizers for a Party.
- Option 3: Host a potluck Bunco Party. This takes some of the pressure off of you to cook, and everyone gets to share their favorite dish. It’s a win-win. Here are some tips on how to host a potluck.
Of course you’ll also need cocktails. As always, I suggest one signature cocktail plus a good red and a good white be available for guests. I’ve gathered up some game day / girls weekend cocktails that give lots of options. Make one of them your own!
Bunco Party Supplies
You’re going to need to have Bunco supplies on hand. You’ll need Bunco score sheets, a set of Bunco rules, dice. Your best best is to purchase a Bunco game set. By doing that you’ll have everything on hand.
Tables should be marked when you play this game, and these Bunco table numbers are the perfect fit:
Check out these Dice Favor boxes – perfect to send home little Bunco treats in!
Don’t forget to have a few extra Bunco Score Sheets on hand! You’ll need them if your party goes into the night!
Bunco Prize Ideas
When I attended the Bunco game, money was the prize. There are, however; other cute prizes you can use if you don’t want to collect a pot of money.
How about a Bunco set of their own? The top winner can walk away with this adorable Bunco game set so you can start moving your Bunco game from house to house!
Here’s the perfect prize to pick up when planning a Bunco party – a Bunco Babe wine glass!
Links to important Bunco information:
For more detailed rules on how to play the game, take a look at this video from GatherTogetherGames!
To learn about Bunco etiquette check out: BuncoPro!
I can’t wait to hear about how your Bunco party went!