I’m often asked: “What to serve with Lasagna at a dinner party”? Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that has captured the hearts and taste buds of people all over the world. Its layers of pasta, rich meat sauce, and gooey cheese make it a comfort food that’s perfect for dinner parties, but the question I get often is about what to serve with lasagna at a dinner party.
Affiliate disclosure: Sweet Humble Home is a participant in Amazon's affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This is no extra cost to readers.
Lasagna is incredibly versatile, with countless variations to suit every palate. Best of all, lasagna can be made ahead of time, so you can focus on your guests instead of slaving away in the kitchen!
How much lasagna do I make for guests?
To ensure you have enough lasagna to satisfy your guests, consider the number of people attending and their appetites. A standard 9×13-inch lasagna typically serves 8-12 people. If you’re serving other dishes alongside the lasagna, you can cut smaller portions.
For a larger party, consider making two lasagnas or offering a variety of types. Try different meat like sausage or ground beef, vegetables, or seafood. Another change-up is the sauce. Try a non-traditional lasagna sauce like pesto or Alfredo sauce rather than using red sauce to cater to different tastes. Also, don’t forget to take into account any dietary restrictions or preferences, such as vegetarian or gluten-free options.
The Origins of Lasagna
We’ve probably all had it a million times – it’s delicious! Lasagna has a rich history that dates back to ancient Greece and Rome. The word “lasagna” comes from the Greek word “laganon,” which refers to a flat sheet of pasta dough. The Romans later adopted this dish and added their own twist with layers of meat, cheese, and sauce. Today, lasagna is a beloved staple in Italian cuisine and has been adapted by cultures around the world.
Appetizers With Lasagna
Kick off your dinner party with some delicious appetizers that pair well with lasagna. Here are a few ideas:
- Bruschetta: Toasted slices of bread topped with a mixture of tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil. This light and flavorful appetizer is a great way to whet your guests’ appetites.
- Caprese Salad: Fresh slices of mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil drizzled with olive oil and balsamic glaze. This simple yet elegant dish complements the rich flavors of lasagna.
- Antipasti Platter: Create a stunning platter with an assortment of cured meats, cheeses, olives, marinated vegetables, and crusty bread. This allows guests to pick and choose their favorites while mingling before the main course.
- Stuffed Mushrooms: A crowd-pleasing appetizer, stuffed mushrooms can be filled with a variety of ingredients, such as sausage, cheese, or spinach. This versatile dish can be tailored to your guests’ tastes and preferences.
- Italian Meatballs: Bite-sized meatballs served with marinara sauce make for a delicious and satisfying appetizer. Offer toothpicks for easy snacking, and consider providing a vegetarian alternative, like eggplant or mushroom meatballs.
The BIG Question Answered: What to Serve with Lasagna at a Dinner Party:
To round out your lasagna dinner, consider serving some tasty side dishes that enhance the meal. Here are a few options of what to serve with lasagna at a dinner party:
- Garlic Bread: A classic accompaniment to lasagna, garlic bread adds a touch of indulgence and helps guests scoop up every last bit of sauce.
- Roasted Vegetables: Seasonal vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant roasted with olive oil, garlic, and herbs make for a healthy and colorful side dish.
- Caesar Salad: A crisp, refreshing Caesar salad with homemade croutons and dressing adds a nice contrast to the rich, hearty lasagna.
- Italian Green Beans: Sautéed with garlic, olive oil, and cherry tomatoes, this flavorful side dish brings a touch of freshness to your dinner party.
- Polenta: A creamy, comforting cornmeal dish, polenta can be served as a side to complement the flavors of lasagna. For added flavor, you can mix in cheese or herbs.
Desserts for Lasagna
Finish off your dinner party on a sweet note with desserts that balance the richness of lasagna. Here are a few suggestions:
- Tiramisu: This classic Italian dessert features layers of coffee-soaked ladyfingers and a creamy mascarpone filling. It’s light, yet indulgent, and pairs beautifully with lasagna.
- Panna Cotta: A silky, smooth Italian custard made with cream and gelatin, panna cotta can be flavored with vanilla, chocolate, or fruit. It’s a cool and refreshing end to a delicious meal.
- Cannoli: These crispy, tube-shaped pastries filled with sweetened ricotta cheese are a Sicilian favorite and a delightful way to wrap up your dinner party.
- Affogato: A simple yet elegant dessert, affogato consists of a scoop of vanilla gelato or ice cream topped with a shot of hot espresso. It’s a delightful combination of hot and cold, perfect for ending a meal.
- Limoncello: For a refreshing after-dinner treat, serve your guests a small glass of limoncello, a sweet and tangy Italian lemon liqueur. This can be served chilled or over ice as a palate cleanser.
Options for What to Serve the Kiddos at the Party:
When hosting a dinner party with guests of all ages, it’s important to offer kid-friendly options that still fit within your menu theme. Here are a few ideas for children’s dishes that pair well with lasagna:
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks: Soft, warm breadsticks coated in melted butter, garlic, and mozzarella cheese make for a delicious and kid-friendly Italian appetizer.
- Mini Margherita Pizzas: Create bite-sized versions of the classic Margherita pizza with mini pizza crusts, tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves. Kids will enjoy these simple yet tasty mini pizzas.
- Italian Pinwheels: Make a kid-friendly version of Italian pinwheels with slices of ham, salami, provolone cheese, and a thin layer of cream cheese, all rolled up in a tortilla. Slice into bite-sized pieces for an easy-to-eat appetizer.
- Pasta Salad: Prepare a colorful and fun pasta salad using a variety of pasta shapes, cherry tomatoes, olives, mozzarella cheese, and Italian dressing. This cold dish is perfect for children to enjoy at a dinner party.
- Fruit Salad: A colorful fruit salad with a variety of fresh fruits is a healthy and appealing option for children. You can even serve it in small cups with decorative toothpicks for added fun.
- Gelato or Sorbet: For dessert, offer a selection of gelato or sorbet flavors that kids will love. This is a lighter alternative to more decadent dessert options, making it perfect for little ones with smaller appetites.
Alright, now you know what to serve with lasagna at a dinner party! Don’t be afraid to get creative with your menu! Experiment with different combinations of appetizers, sides, and desserts to create a memorable dining experience for your guests, both young and old. With a little thought and preparation, you can host a fantastic lasagna dinner party that’s sure to impress!