Hot chocolate bombs are a fun way to enjoy hot chocolate that’ll amaze your kids every time, but if you’re anything like me (not a baker or super experienced with candy making), you’re looking for an easy hot chocolate bomb how-to that’ll be fun to make, and even more fun to share! I’ll show you how to make easy hot chocolate bombs filled with marshmallows and other fun surprises the easy way!
What is a hot chocolate bomb?
How do hot chocolate bombs work?
Where can I buy these?
You can purchase them at one of these places OR you can make your very own! It’s so simple!
Affiliate disclosure: Sweet Humble Home is a participant in Amazon's affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This is no extra cost to readers.
The problem is that a lot of times they are out of stock. If you take these simple steps you can make your own and not worry about who has them and who doesn’t!
How to make hot chocolate bombs with marshmallows (the easy way):
I guarantee you – if you are looking for the gourmet version of these – this isn’t the recipe for you! I used easily available chocolate melts from Target, and they aren’t as pretty as the ones you can get from a fancy bakery! These are mom-made for fun!
- Pick up some chocolate melting bars or chips. I looked into trying fancy chocolate, but like I said before, I’m all about the easy version of this treat. The only caveat is that the chocolates need to have cocoa butter.
- Melt the bars in the microwave in 60 second increments (don’t overheat)
- Brush the melted chocolate into the chocolate bomb mold – a silicone baking mold. Make sure you make at least two layers of chocolate! If you make this too thin they will crack when you remove them.. (This is the mold that I use)
- Allow the chocolate to cool in the fridge
- Pop the molds out (they come out so easily)!
- Fill with your fillings
- Warm the ring of the second half of the bomb on a skillet on warm on your stove. Give it a good 12-15 seconds to really make it straight.
- Put the two pieces together and cool!
- Decorate the outside by adding a bit of chocolate and sprinkling it with whatever decoration you like! There are some really fancy ones out there, but I keep mine pretty simple and festive.
- Add the bombs to a mug and pour 1 cup of warmed milk over them and watch the magic happen!
- One of our readers suggested that you can also add the bomb to the warm water. Either way – just have fun and enjoy!
- White Chocolate
- Mexican Coffee
- Peanut Butter Ball
- Rum ball
Ideas for what to put inside:
- Crushed candy canes
- Crushed Oreos
- Chopped toffee bits
- Peanut Butter kisses
- Mint Chocolate – chopped mint candies
- Chocolate chips in different flavors
- Peanut butter cups
- Mini salted caramels
Use different flavors of hot chocolate for variation like: peppermint, Mexican hot chocolate mix, raspberry hot chocolate mix, and hazlenut, French vanilla, or butterscotch. I’ve even seen Lucky Charms flavor at the grocery store! Keep it fun, and keep to what you family enjoys!
How to store hot chocolate bombs:
Store the bombs in a cool, dark spot. Using a cabinet or a drawer with a side table to store them until you’re ready to use is also a good choice. I store mine on my Hot Cocoa Bar because it’s out of direct sunlight (and I keep the house on the cool side at 72). Wrap them up in a clear gift bag with pretty ribbon and you’ve got a really pretty hostess gift. Pack it with a little bottle of Baileys and you’ve made it even more special!
How to make boozy hot chocolate bombs:
It took me a little while, and a bit of research to figure out what I needed to do to make these treats more “adult” friendly. Do you simply add booze to the bomb? What I have learned is that the way to make a boozy hot cocoa bomb without having to worry about it leaking out is to add it in the form of candy! That’s right. If you want to make a boozy version you add the appropriate candy! Here are some of my suggestions:
I used this Costco Version:
More options for boozy hot chocolate bombs:
Is buying the candy a little expensive?
I get it. If you don’t want to make the bombs with the candy, simply add a little Baileys, rum, or bourbon to your hot chocolate before you add the warm milk. Same thing!
Let the fun begin!
Making these should be just as much fun as putting them into a cup and watching the warm milk pop them open! Gather the kiddos together (or grab your girlfriends for the boozy version), and get creative! You’ll make memories at the same time that you are creating these treats!
Plan on the first few bombs being just that - bombs. It takes a little bit of practice to get it down! Make sure you seperate any adult bombs from the regular bombs you make so you are sure which is which. I suggest doing them on different days and storing them in completely different places. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Plan on the first few bombs being just that - bombs. It takes a little bit of practice to get it down!
Make sure you seperate any adult bombs from the regular bombs you make so you are sure which is which. I suggest doing them on different days and storing them in completely different places.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.