Affiliate disclosure: Sweet Humble Home is a participant in Amazon's affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This is no extra cost to readers.
An essential part of your dinner party is serving up a side dish. Many times I think too much thinking goes into something that could be so easy to fix. When you have good quality ingredients it doesn’t take much to make them taste any better. This easy vegetable side dish is a regular at our family dinner table along with being part of a buffet when I entertain.
It couldn’t be simpler.
This dish calls for cherry tomatoes, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and onions. However; I have also made it with different vegetables depending on the season and the occasion. For instance, use asparagus, peas, and carrots for spring. In wintertime, I use butternut squash, cranberries, and brussels sprouts (Brussels sprouts are one of the vegetables I like to cook most, – see this recipe – can you tell)? At any rate, the combinations are endless, and the cooking method is the same for all. The only thing that you need to adjust is the cooking time.
Cook inside or out.
This all depends on preference. Using a cast iron pan for cooking the veggies inside gives them a nice, blistered outside. Roasting them slowly brings out even deeper flavors, and grilling them brings a smoked flavor that enhances their natural sweetness.
Choosing your cooking method:
Slice any larger sized veggies so that they are all about the same size. Mix in your olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and red pepper flakes and stir to coat. Place into a very hot skillet, and cook until they turn bright green (for green vegetables) or are al dente. Add more salt and pepper depending on your taste.
Making the easiest vegetable side dish ever in the oven is JUST as easy (although not as quick). Slice all veggies to around the same size, and prepare as above. Pour all of your veggies into a large, cookie sheet and place in a 400 degree oven for about 35 minutes. Root vegetables do especially well with roasting.
Grilling these vegetables is yet another method to preparing these easy vegetables. Prepare the vegetables as described above. Place a vegetable grill pan on your grill and heat the grill to 400 degrees. Grill for about 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally depending upon the size of your veggies. Until crisp tender.
- Broccoli/onion/Brussels sprouts/tomatoes
- Butternut squash/Cranberries
- Carrots/Brussels sprouts/cranberries (I just love the sweet & savory of this combo)
- Green peppers/red peppers/onions/mushrooms
- Zucchini/red onions/peppers/tomatoes
- Corn on the cob quartered/peppers/mushrooms/onions
- Kid favorite: Corn on the cob quartered/broccoli/red peppers
- Kid favorite #2: Carrots/broccoli/red peppers (a good one for the holidays)
The ideas for vegetable combinations are endless. That is what makes this the easiest vegetable side dish ever! You can combine any types of vegetables that you like – just be careful of cooking times.
Easiest Ever Vegetable Side Dish
- 1 cup Brussels Sprouts Sliced in half
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes whole
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 2 small heads broccoli chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Slice veggies into roughly the same size (bite sized pieces)
- Add veggies into a mixing bowl with olive oil & spices
- Mix together to coat the vegetables
- Add veggies to hot cast iron skillet and cook for 20-25 minutes stirring occassionally
- Serve & Enjoy!
What combinations will you use?
Please let me know what combinations you use – and if you use these ideas for family dinner or for entertaining friends and family!
I can’t wait to hear all about it!