Affiliate disclosure: Sweet Humble Home is a participant in Amazon's affiliate program and will earn a small advertising fee if you click on products mentioned in this post and purchase. This is no extra cost to readers.
Easy Weeknight Meals
Easy weeknight meals are a must for me. Are they for you? I find that when I don’t meal plan, or something gets in the way of what I’ve planned I need a quick and easy meal that I can pull together in no time flat, and get on the table in a matter of minutes. Let’s face it. There are days I am all sorts of prepared and ready to go (those are usually slow cooker days – check out my pot roast recipe) and then there are those days that I just don’t want to cook. I’d rather pile my family into the car and head out to my favorite restaurant.
When I found myself leaving the house at dinner time more often then I knew I should, I knew it was time to amp up my easy weeknight meal arsenal. I started to develop some of my own, and when short on time I’d reference some from Food Network – a go-to for me. Their collection of easy meals is extensive.
Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu
The inspiration for my Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu came from the ingredients I had in my fridge. It happened on a day I wasn’t feeling like taking on a big dinner project. For protein, I had chicken and lunchmeat available and non-frozen. Since I had ham and cheese, cordon bleu came to mind. I did not, however; have any intention of rolling up meat and putting anything in the oven. It was hot. I wanted an easy weeknight meal, and I was determined to find a lazy way to make chicken cordon bleu easy.
Turns out it was a complete hit – one that my boys have asked for again and again. Not only that – I think this is a recipe that can be used for entertaining as well. It looks pretty, it’s delicious, and best of all, it’s on the table in minutes!
Easy Weeknight Meals – Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu
Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu
Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu is a quick, easy meal that you can get onto the table in a matter of minutes!
- 4 chicken breasts - pounded thin
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 slices ham or prosciutto
- 1/4c flour
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 3/4c chicken stock
- 4 slices Swiss or American Cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350.
- Step 2 Pound chicken until thin.
- Step 3 Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Sprinkle garlic powder on each.
- Step 5 Coat each of the chicken breasts in flour.
- Step 6 Cook the chicken breasts in melted oil and butter until browned and cooked through.
- Step 7 Remove chicken from the pan and whisk in mustard and lemon juice.
- Step 8 Add corn starch to your chicken stock and whisk together.
- Step 9 Add mixture to the mustard and lemon juice in pan whisking at all times. (Make sure to get those lovely brown pieces off of the bottom of the pan).
- Step 10 Add chicken back to the pan.
- Step 11 Top with one slice of ham or prosciutto.
- Step 12 Finish with one slice of cheese.
- Step 13 Place in preheated over for 5 minutes allowing the cheese and prosciutto to heat and the cheese to brown.
- Step 14 Serve with roasted tomatoes and garnish with parsley (if you have it on hand).
- Step 15 Enjoy!