Affiliate disclosure: We may earn a small commission if you click on products mentioned in this post. This is no extra cost to our readers and helps to keep the blog up and running!
Snow days bring creativity!
My scrambled egg pepper boats were born this morning when I had a little bit extra time to get creative! Most days, I’ll get through our morning routine and grab a couple of hard boiled eggs and a pint of grape tomatoes on the way out the door. Today, I had time for a little bit more.
Peppers are my new kale. Truth.
Actually, I’ve never particularly liked kale. I tried, I really did, but it just wasn’t for me. I’m trying very hard to get into leafy greens, but I’m not there yet. Peppers, however; have become a new favorite, and I’m surprised by all of the different recipes I’ve come up with to use them. Recently I came up with Pepper, Squash & Egg Breakfast Boats – they’re super yummy and easy to make as well. This morning, even though I had spaghetti squash in the fridge, I was looking for something new. Have you checked out Aldi’s prices on peppers? Since discovering what I could get for the money at Aldi – I’m hooked. My fridge is full of peppers! I have also fallen in love with pepper nachos. Yes, you read that right. Pepper nachos. Taylor, over at Food Faith Fitness has the absolute best recipe for Mexican Mini Bell Pepper Nachos. There are many recipes out there, but hers is my favorite. I highly recommend you check it out (and make them).
Not only are they easy – they’re healthy, too!
I’m not a nutritionist, nor do I claim to be, but I am a My Fitness Pal user. I entered the entire recipe into their site, which I developed for four portions. I entered the names of the products that I used when I did that, as well as in the recipe below so that I wouldn’t be guessing on nutritional value. What I did learn is that these tasty little gems are only 98 calories each along with 10 grams of protein! Not bad!
Scrambled Egg Pepper Boats
Easy to make Scrambled Egg Pepper Boats
- 2 Bell Peppers - halved and cleaned
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 slices Arla Medium Cheddar
- 2 slices Rose Premium Canadian Bacon - diced
- 1 TBSP dried chives
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-6 sprays Trader Joes Spanish Organic Olive Oil cooking spray
- Step 1 Slice peppers in half and clean out.
- Step 2 Spray peppers with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt/pepper/garlic powder.
- Step 3 Broil peppers on top rack on high for 6 minutes.
- Step 4 Whisk together eggs, egg whites, chives, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chives, cheese, and ham.
- Step 5 Spray non-stick fry plan with olive oil cooking spray.
- Step 6 Scramble egg mixture.
- Step 7 Remove peppers from broiler.
- Step 8 Place scrambled egg mixture in each pepper half.
- Step 9 Serve & Enjoy!
I’m always interested in finding out if you made my recipe – and what you thought! It’s also great to see variations!
xoxo – JJ